Monday, August 08, 2005

ABC News anchor Peter Jennings dies of lung cancer

Peter Jennings died last night. To me, he personified the consummate journalist; his calming voice in the face of many a crisis was very reassuring to hear. Whenever there was a major news event, the first news channel I would invariably switch on was ABC, not because I was a fan of ABC News but because I knew Peter would be there reporting on it.

The only reason I would ever turn on the TV to hear news was when Peter was on. Normally I get all my "news" from NPR, but when I wanted to see a major news event as it was happening, it was Peter who brought it home to me.

There was no other journalist I trusted more than Peter. In the face of the mind numbing mediocre entertainment that's put out as news by TV networks these days, one man always stood out as the beacon of light, every evening, bring the news from around the world to us with the right perspective view on it.

For someone who never graduated high school, Peter was the most eloquent speaker and the wisest man I've heard on Television. His experience as a well travelled overseas correspondent showed in the insight he brought into his reporting and his quote about there being "no absolute truths" should be heeded by everyone.

I've been a huge fan of Peter for the past 14 years and I will miss him very much.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home